Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon defended his decision to keep a man out of jail who would go on to become the killer of two police officers, claiming the perpetrator had “no history of violence” despite an attempt by his probation officer to put him back behind bars .
“The outcome in this particular case … was appropriate,” Gascon said during a Tuesday press conference. “[Justin] Flores had no history of violence and very little contact with the criminal justice system for 10 years.”
As a movement to recall him heats up, Gascon took the rare step of commenting on a controversy surrounding his perceived anti-victim policies. In this case, two police officers were shot to death by a felon who would have still been in jail if Gascon had not offered him a plea bargain for a 20-day sentence last year, said former Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley.
In addition, Fox News has reported that Flores had a string of misdemeanor cases between a first-degree burglary felony in 2011 and the June 14 shooting of El Monte police officers Michael Paredes and Joseph Santana. The officers were responding to a 911 call of a possible stabbing in a motel room when they were shot by Flores. Afterward, Flores ran to the parking lot, where additional police officers killed him. As news of the shooting unfolded, Flores’s criminal history was made public, and anger ensued in the community.
“This individual has a record from 2009 all the way up to 2022. He was involved in the criminal justice system for more than 10 years with two felonies, multiple convictions, and firearm violations,” Deputy District Attorney Jonathan Hatami, a frequent Gascon critic, said. “He was an admitted gang member and committing domestic violence against his wife before the […]
They’re Trying to Shut Us Down
Over the last several months, I’ve lost count of how many times the powers-that-be have tried to shut us down. They’ve sent hackers at us, forcing us to take extreme measures on web security. They sent attorneys after us, but thankfully we’re not easily intimidated by baseless accusations or threats. They’ve even gone so far as to make physical threats. Those can actually be a bit worrisome but Remington has me covered.
For us to continue to deliver the truth that Americans need to read and hear, we ask you, our amazing audience, for financial assistance. We just launched a GiveSendGo page to help us pay the bills. It’s brand new so don’t be discouraged by the lack of donations there. It’s a funny reality that the fewer the donations that have been made, the less likely people are willing to donate to it. One would think this is counterintuitive, but sometimes people are skeptical because they think that perhaps there’s a reason others haven’t been donating. In our situation, we’re just getting started so please don’t be shy if you have the means to help.
Thank you and God bless!